Category:Brighton Station

From The Brighton Toy and Model Index
Revision as of 12:15, 18 October 2014 by BTMM Eric (talk | contribs) (reorganisation in progress)
Jump to navigationJump to search

Brighton Railway Station, "BTN" (built 1840) was originally a simpler white rectangular Italianate building designed by David Mocatta, with an unbridged Trafalgar Street running downhill in front of it. Over the following years, the forecourt and the eastern side of the station were extended, Trafalgar Street was bridged (in three stages), glassed roofing was put over the platform areas, and the current permanent awning with its vine-tendril design was built over the forecourt.

The bulk of Brighton Toy and Model Museum is built into these slightly later arches supporting the station forecourt, with some extension back under the main station structure.

Alternative locations

Other locations were originally considered for the terminus of the London-to-Brighton line. On suggestion was to put the station just north of Western Road, near the Brunswick Estate, but residents objected to the idea that their area might be then be filled with visiting Londoners.

Another suggested location was at or around "The Level" - the wedge of open land at the top of the the chain of green areas running up from Old Steine. Putting the station in the top of this valley area would have been more convenient for visitors as it would have provided a grand route down to the most popular section of the seafront, but would have involved a more severe gradient for the track, and having a valley on each side would have made it difficult to build connecting lines to other towns to either side of Brighton.

The station was finally constructed by building to between these two locations, by excavating a vast amount of material from the hillside and setting the station into the side of a hill, creating a brick "cliff" along one side of the station track. The line was then able to straddle the valley area to the East with the London Road Viaduct.

History of Brighton Station - timeline

  • 1837 – London and Brighton Railway Act passed
  • 1838 – Construction work starts
  • 1839 – Mocatta station house designed
  • 1840 – Shoreham branch line opens, initial Shoreham terminus building at Brighton.
  • 1841 – main line opens, Mocatta building finished
  • 1844 – West Street extended to the Station, as Queens Road
  • 1844 – Initial Trafalgar Street Bridge
  • 1846 – LBRC joins London and Croydon Railway Company to create the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway (LB&SCR)
  • 1847 – branch line to Lewes and Newhaven opens
  • 1852 – new goods branch line built
  • 1863 – Trafalgar Street Bridge widened
  • 1875 – Trafalgar Street Bridge widened for a second time
  • 1882 – New longer glass station platform roof built over the existing roof (removed 1883)
  • 1882-83 – station extended eastward over the Cab Road,
    • New buildings built along the East and West sides
    • Jutting parcels depot
    • Demolition of Mocatta ground floor frontage, construction of forecourt roofing
  • 1883 – Cab road redesign
  • 1883 – Suspended four-faced clock
  • 1883 – Rear of Mocatta building ground floor extended back
  • 1883 – Electric lighting fitted
  • 1899 – Roof steps added for maintenance access
  • 1924 – Creation of stair access to Trafalgar Street
  • 1979 – Travel Centre created
  • 1980 – New Ticket Office
  • 2013 – Building work on travel centre and other centre station frontage, internal reorganisation

Other external references



Subcategories

This category has the following 12 subcategories, out of 12 total.

O

Q

S

T

Media in category ‘Brighton Station’

The following 53 files are in this category, out of 53 total.