Category:Brighton

From The Brighton Toy and Model Index
Revision as of 19:36, 5 October 2015 by BTMM Eric (talk | contribs) (→‎2000-: expanded)
Jump to navigationJump to search

Pages and categories relating to or associated with Brighton, UK.

Brighton Timeline

11th Century
Manor owned by Earl Godwin
Norman Conquest
granted to William de Warrenne, William the Conqueror's son-in-law
1260-1340
Gradual loss of over 40 acres of land from below the cliff
1313
Immigrant Fleming fishermen living in the lower town under the cliff become successful enough to build East Street and West Street in the upper town. Ship Street and Middle Street are built at around the same time.
1377
French attack

1500-1599

1513-1514
French attack and retreat
1545
French attack
1558
Block House built, as a fort. Gun Garden battery built at around the same time, along with town gates.
1580
Panic over a Spanish Armada false alarm

1600-1699

1645 to 1655
Encroaching sea destroys a further 22 tenements under the cliff over a period of about ten years
1651
Charles II escapes to France via Brighton, staying overnight, in disguise, on 13th October at an inn in West Street.
1666
Petition to Parliament for poverty relief due to loss of fishing vessels work, due to conflict with the French.
Population circa 3,000
1690
Surrounding parishes ordered to contribute to help the Brighthelmstone poor.

1700-1799

1703
Great storm of Sunday, December 27th 1703 causes damage
1705
Great storm of 11th August 1705 destroys all 113 remaining tenements in the lower town, remains of the land are washed away in the following years – the lower town is then effectively erased from the maps.
1732
Decision to build groynes to protect the upper town against further erosion. Royal brief allows fundraising across England, further fundraising twenty years later for repairs.
1750
Dr. Richard Russell moves to Brighton. Writes about the recuperative effects of seawater, Brighton becomes a destination for peoplevisiting the doctor, and visiting the seafront to take the air. Brighton's economy takes an upturn as the visitors rent rooms and spend money.

1800-1899

1822
Thomas Read Kemp's workmen start laying out Kemp Town, a Regency-styled property development to the East of Brighton, designed by Charles Busby and Amon Wilde, and built on a consolidation of land inherited by Kemp in 1811. Building work finishes in 1855.
1823
The Royal Suspension Chain Pier is built. The end of the pier allows a boat service to France. It's increasingly realised that the pier itself is being seen as a tourist attraction, which suggests a business case for a more tourism-friendly pier.
1837
London and Brighton Railway Act passed on 15 July 1837
1840
Opening of the Brighton-Shoreham railway line, with a small station building at Brighton.
1841
Completion of the Ouse Valley Viaduct
Completion of the London Road Viaduct
Completion of the new Brighton Station Italianate building designed by David Mocatta
The London-to-Brighton railway line opens. The resulting flood of tourists causes Brighton's economy and population to boom.
1844
Queens Road is built as an extension of West Street up to the station. The road requires brick arches to raise the ground level in order to reach the station, but creates a new approach to the station that has a less severe gradient than Trafalgar Street, and is kinder to horses.
1866
New West Pier opens, designed by Eugenius Birch, and described as "the finest pier in Britain".
1869
Kemp Town Railway Station opens. The line appears to be motivated as a "spoiler" by the LBSCR to block other potential competing railway routes to London.
Work starts on turning the protective rubble at the base of the seawall into a new road, Madeira Road (now Madeira Drive). This protects the base of the seawall from erosion, making it safer to build near the top. The work also produces Brighton Aquarium.
1872
Opening of Brighton Aquarium, designed by Eugenius Birch.
1888
Jubilee Clock Tower built at the bottom of Queens Road, to mark Queen Victoria's Jubilee.
1893
New steel-framed Pavilion and Concert Hall added to the West Pier.
1896
Brighton and Rottingdean Seashore Electric Railway (a.k.a. the "Daddy Long-Legs") opens in November.
Royal Chain Pier destroyed by storm on December. It had already been earmarked for demolition once the Palace Pier, its adjacent replacement, was finished.
The same December storm wrecks the new "Daddy Long-Legs" Rottingdean extension to the Volks Railway, only weeks after its opening. The extension and car are repaired and reopen.
1899
The Palace Pier opens

1900-1999


2000-

2011
Brighton Wheel opens, as a temporary attraction.
2016
i360' tower, designed by Marks Barfield, opens to the public.

Visitor guides

Subcategories

This category has the following 187 subcategories, out of 187 total.

1

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

K

M

N

O

P

Q

R

T

U

V

W

Pages in category ‘Brighton’

The following 170 pages are in this category, out of 170 total.

B

Media in category ‘Brighton’

The following 200 files are in this category, out of 864 total.

(previous page) (next page)(previous page) (next page)